GamingStylez

GamingStylez Server Config  

20 members have voted

1. 1. How often would you make use of a GamingStylez SMP server?

• I'd play on it every day!
    • I'd play on it a couple times a week.
    • I might hop on it a couple times a month.
    • Not interested or I don't play online.
  2. 2. Which type of SMP server would you prefer?

• Industrial (IC2, Buildcraft, Redpower, etc) - hard to maintain
    • Vanilla Minecraft with Bukkit - easy to maintain
    • Other - please specify in a reply to the thread
  3. 3. Whitelist, Public, or Hybrid?

• Whitelist (Only people added to whitelist can play)
    • Public (Anyone can join the server and build)
    • Hybrid (Anyone can join, but only certain people can build)

I've been thinking about putting up a GamingStylez SMP server for a looong time now and was wondering how much interest there is in this. I'd like to get a list of people that would want to play on it frequently and also if there are any serious builders that would want to work on the community areas.

Also I'd want to know if any of you have a preference as to what Bukkit plugins are installed on the server.

A couple months ago I had a super secret project where I actually had a server just about ready to deploy that had a bunch of industrial mods on it along with a bunch of Bukkit mods but I realized I didn't have the time to dedicate to it so I scrapped it just before releasing it.

Here, let me make a list of questions and you guys can answer them below:

• Which Bukkit mods would you like to see on the server? Towny, jail, etc
  • Would you want it to be "Industrialized" (IC2, Buildcraft, etc) or vanilla+bukkit? Keep in mind an industrial server is a lot of work to maintain and worlds could get lost/corrupted frequently.
  • Would you want a voice chat server to accompany it for communication?
  • Whitelisted or pubic? Or hybrid - public access but explicit build rights need to be granted (still open to creative griefing)
  • Would you want to be a builder (building spawn areas, etc)? Do you have any examples of your work (attach images in your reply in this thread)?

There's probably a lot of other questions I should be asking so make sure to post any suggestions to this thread. If I decide to create a server (if there's enough desire for it) I would likely use BuyCraft to fund it. Of course you don't have to buy anything to use the server but it would allow you to save time by buying certain items. I would probably also put up a donation box for the server as well but that remains to be seen!

I'm also going to need some moderators and/or server admins to help run the server when I'm not around but probably myself and Gizmo will run it in the meantime until we find some people to help out. If you'd like to help out then let me know in this thread that you're interested and just make sure you participate on the forums and show some maturity and you'll be considered (I can't give random people I don't know admin access that's why participation is key)!

There are several necessary plugins for a public SMP/Bukkit to combat hacks and griefs. Industialized should be kept seperate, whitelist only in my opinion. I do enjoy the material movement and storage system IC/BC offers, but still have some exploring to do with automating my processing machines for things like smooth stone, etc..

I'm for Bukkit with some plugins, we would need essentials and group manager for permissions (including build rights) /ranks, something like alerter for area protection, a plugin like logblock as it's not being made anymore and something like a report system/ IRC channel for the staff side of things if we go into that much detail, dunno about you but this sounds like an awful lot of fun if you ask me!

There are several necessary plugins for a public SMP/Bukkit to combat hacks and griefs. Industialized should be kept seperate, whitelist only in my opinion.

Maybe we can whitelist it and have some sort of requirements to get on the server but I don't know what. Anyone have ideas on that front? I was thinking of (when the server is ready) making a thread that says the first X people to reply with their Minecraft names will get a slot on the server. Then after that maybe some sort of application process where you must have X posts on this forum to participate on the server, or maybe just an account on the site to make the whitelist but X posts to build. I don't know, just throwing out some ideas.

I'm for Bukkit with some plugins, we would need essentials and group manager for permissions (including build rights) /ranks, something like alerter for area protection, a plugin like logblock as it's not being made anymore and something like a report system/ IRC channel for the staff side of things if we go into that much detail, dunno about you but this sounds like an awful lot of fun if you ask me!

Yeah I had a lot of that stuff on my last server. I had something like logblock but I can't remember what it was called - I keep thinking it had eagle in the name or something... eagle eye? I dunno.

You would be thinking of HawkEye, It's a similar thing to logblock and I think they're joining up with HawkEye to make an ultimate thing but eh, I thought that people can join but not build until we set them to a rank via command (it's pretty simple to do), so as when people join you set them to the Normal group with building access, whereas you don't do ransomers of course!

Whats up everyone? just thought i would put in my 2 cents on the server.... I have administrated/hosted a server before and i know its is a pain with or with out mods. I would love to play on a Gaming Stylez Bukkit server. BUT a white-listed server with ranks is a major turn off. Ranks can cause some of the same questions to be asked over and over again ("How do get x rank") followed by someone replying with the same answers, this will happen everyday whit a bunch of ranks on the server. The solution in my opinion is a free build server with area protections and simple chest locking plugin like LWC, towny and i-conomy. You could also throw in a muti-world plugin for pvp or something, but that can be very resource demanding. Over i do vote for a bukkit server and would love to help out in any way I can weather it be building, moderating or even configuring permissions(a bit rusty on the perms tho).

I doubt there would be ranks that people can obtain because as you said it is a major turn off, there would probably be group manager for permissions but hey we'll see, I'm only helping Stylez I can't speak for him!

A SMP server sounds great, but I would love to play on a server that is just plain survival, where you play with your friends or people that you meet on the server. And just have some plugins to stop people from griefing.

That's what I have in mind :)

Maybe just the standard anti-grief/spam plugins, essentials, iconomy, Lockette for the chests (can't remember if that comes with another plugin), Stargate is a nice plugin for getting around the world quicker (works w/iconomy i believe). Like Gizmo said, it's ultimately up to Stylez on all that. All we can do is give suggestions.

Edit: Was just thinking, later down the road if all is going well. Multiverse would be a nice addition for a Skylands world, maybe a port to an Industrialized server as well (for those with the mods of course). Some more food for thought :)

Great suggestions so far, keep them coming!

Ultimately I'm going to use whatever everyone (or the majority) agree on. I don't really want to pick all the mods and be the minority that likes them and have no one play on it, that would suck!

So far it looks like we're thinking no whitelist and no ranks - anyone can join and build straight away. Lockette or LWC is a given for protecting your chests and I love iCononmy even though I can't remember what it does other than handle currency. I like the idea of people being able to open their own shops.

So, say you build a house somewhere (assuming we don't use towny) what plugins do we need so that someone can't come and tear down your house?

Great suggestions so far, keep them coming!

Ultimately I'm going to use whatever everyone (or the majority) agree on. I don't really want to pick all the mods and be the minority that likes them and have no one play on it, that would suck!

So far it looks like we're thinking no whitelist and no ranks - anyone can join and build straight away. Lockette or LWC is a given for protecting your chests and I love iCononmy even though I can't remember what it does other than handle currency. I like the idea of people being able to open their own shops.

So, say you build a house somewhere (assuming we don't use towny) what plugins do we need so that someone can't come and tear down your house?

If I'm not mistaken WorldGuard can help to protect given areas. iConomy can be used in conjunction with many other mods, like I mentioned above with Stargate. The prices to use, for instance, one of the teleport gates are customizable in the config file for the Stargate plugin. Just see which ones are compatible with iConomy to make full use of the plugin. I currently play on the World's Apart server and they have a very nice standalone plugin for the markets at spawn (can't recall the plugin name).

If I'm not mistaken WorldGuard can help to protect given areas. iConomy can be used in conjunction with many other mods, like I mentioned above with Stargate. The prices to use, for instance, one of the teleport gates are customizable in the config file for the Stargate plugin. Just see which ones are compatible with iConomy to make full use of the plugin. I currently play on the World's Apart server and they have a very nice standalone plugin for the markets at spawn (can't recall the plugin name).

Nice, I used WorldGuard on the previous server I was setting up and I played around with another mod that let you buy and sell WorldGuard regions so you could have property and stuff. I may look into doing that again so that it's possible to layout towns and stuff instead of using something like Towny. I'll probably setup a local server on my home server and play around with some stuff and then if I go ahead with a real server I can just FTP everything up.

I usually do the same thing here at home. Add different plugins to check out how they work together. I think the only difference with my home server is that I tend to pre-build an xp farm for myself everytime. :P

["Which bukkit mods would you like to see?"]

Probably just some of the basic ones. Worldedit, iConomy, all the essentials.

(see what i did there?)

On the topic of worldguard.

Worldguard is a great tool, but a hassle to use to protect people houses, since it requires permissions to select areas with WorldEdit. And if normal members can't use worldedit, then they'd have to wait for a staff member to come online and protect it for them.

A server I used to be on (I was an op there) had a plugin called GriefPrevention that auto-protected an area of land wherever a person's first chest was laid down, which showed the border with client-side gold and glowstone. Then the player could move the area around with a gold shovel. You could also select areas that were only available for admins/OPs to build inside of.

The only use for worldguard after we got this was making a spawn where enemies didnt hurt anyone, didnt spawn and didnt explode. :P

["Industrialized or vanilla+bukkit?"]

I'd rather have vanilla & bukkit. I dont usually play any mods, and usually things like Tekkit are laggier than normal Minecraft, which is a hassle. Even with optifine.

["Voice chat to accompany it?"]

I'd honestly rather not, since I usually don't like talking in Teamspeak/vent/whatever. It'd also get rather annoying to people who aren't on it, since people would be running around and doing things while saying nothing in the server chat, and talking in the voice chat instead.

["Whitelist or public or hybrid?"]

I think a hybrid would be good. Public gets slightly too many mindless griefers, and having to apply for a server you haven't been on before is annoying since you have no idea whether or not its worth the time. I'd rather see what the server is like, then be able to apply.

[Funding]

Buycraft seems good. I personally dont usually buy things from / donate to servers (due to a lack of a paypal account (and bank account (and a lack of money in general))), but it seems like a pretty cool way to get the money to pay for it.

/bigpost

["Whitelist or public or hybrid?"]

I think a hybrid would be good. Public gets slightly too many mindless griefers, and having to apply for a server you haven't been on before is annoying since you have no idea whether or not its worth the time. I'd rather see what the server is like, then be able to apply.

Thanks for all the input! Due to your feedback I've added a third poll to this thread about whitelisting so that I can see clearly what everyone wants. You may have to delete your vote (if you can?) and redo it.

On the topic of worldguard protected areas, that's sort of why I wanted to go with a plugin like towny or similar so that admins don't always have to designate protected areas (after initially designating zones). I'll take a look at the GriefPrevention plugin.

Possible server candidate - I'm looking at getting a server in NYC. Connect to the SMP server ny.mclayer.com and test out the connection. It works awesome for me on the east coast.

I've also used Towny before..it is definitely good for initial zoning.

I'm still not 100% sure I want to go with it. I like that it can be player controlled but I like having the flexibility of defining zones myself. I'll have to learn more about Towny before I decide to use it as I don't want to limit the server. Plus if someone joins the server and wants to build right away it's hard without buying Towny land first (I think).

Thanks for the input guys!

I plan on using a mod called Grief Prevention which allows you to protect all of your stuff yourself with "claim blocks" that you earn. Everyone will get a set amount to start and as soon as you place down your first chest you will be given a protected area for your first hovel. As you play the game and earn money (not sure how yet, play time, shops, jobs.. not sure) you will be able to buy more claim blocks to expand your hovel or make a new home elsewhere. Eventually when you amass a large amount of claim blocks you can create your own town and designate plots for tenants to move in (and charge them rent but that has to be done manually). All this is done with a golden shovel to designate areas (other than the initial area created from a chest automatically).

Grief Prevention has a really cool PVP system too that I think everyone should enjoy as it adds a lot of fun to the game (just don't carry around expensive stuff!).

As for server location, I was looking at trying to find one on the east coast of the USA but I've actually found a pretty good host that puts their servers in the Netherlands. if you're like me you're probably thinking "OMG THE NETHERLANDS THATS FOREVER AWAY!" and you're right... but the Netherlands is well known for their stupid fast internet backbone.

Try out one of their test servers at 213.163.92.61:25633 and see what you think. Especially those of you inland in the USA. I was pretty impressed with how it performed but I'm located on the east coast of Canada.

Possible server candidate - I'm looking at getting a server in NYC. Connect to the SMP server ny.mclayer.com and test out the connection. It works awesome for me on the east coast.

This connection works great .....looks like a griefing party went through there though. :o

Seems to run pretty smooth for me. Lots of griefing in these servers..wow.

haha Yeah they're just test servers run by hosting companies with no anti-grief or plugins. If that server (the last one) runs pretty good for you then maybe that's what I'll get - it's the one in the Netherlands. I think people on the west coast will have issues with it though. Since you're in Ohio it looks like that server will work good for the mid-west, east coast, and Europe so I think it's a good starting point. If there's a need and I have the funding in the future I'll open a US server on the west coast or something.

It looks like the server is a go! I've had enough feedback in here to convince me that it's worth it (thanks, guys!) plus I've had some people on YouTube say they want a server that haven't signed up over here. I'm configuring a plugin on my test server right now that will tie these forums into the server. So, to get build rights you will need a forum account with 3 posts and probably a forum avatar (to keep the forums looking nice lol).

I'll be making a forum dedicated to the GS server in a bit under the GamingStylez category and will probably move this topic there.

Hey when the server does get up and running do you think someone from Australia will have a decent connection? I'll still play either way.

Jump on this server: 213.163.92.61:25633 and see how it works as that's likely where it'll be hosted (Netherlands). I'm not expecting it to be a great connection for you but it might not be too bad!

It looks like the server is a go! I've had enough feedback in here to convince me that it's worth it (thanks, guys!) plus I've had some people on YouTube say they want a server that haven't signed up over here. I'm configuring a plugin on my test server right now that will tie these forums into the server. So, to get build rights you will need a forum account with 3 posts and probably a forum avatar (to keep the forums looking nice lol).

I'll be making a forum dedicated to the GS server in a bit under the GamingStylez category and will probably move this topic there.

Sounds awesome! Looking forward to fresh new world to get started in :D Was also just thinking about the new update having the ability to invite friends to your SSP world. May be an even better way to get people together for some IC. ;)

Hey stylez, long time viewer first time poster here

Im not one for chit chat so I'll get right to the beans, Towny is a excellent plugin to use due to its versatility with PvP and PvE however in my experiences as a server owner/moderator/admin I find towny to be very server intensive and it seems like more and more problems are popping up with it everyday that don't seem to get fixed also I've had some compatibility issues while trying to run towny and PEX at the same time this may be a problem that only exists on my server due to a hiccup in either config files or it could be a problem with the plugin itself at this point I don't know. From what I've heard about the "GriefPrevention" it seems similar to many other plugins that I've seen/heard about and I've found that plugins like these tend to be very picky and buggy at times, If you do choose to run said plugin it would be a very good idea to also run a more reliable plugin EG LogBlock

alright thats all I have to say for now, let me know if you need any help setting up your server as I have some decent experience with them -Cheers

Hey stylez, long time viewer first time poster here

Im not one for chit chat so I'll get right to the beans, Towny is a excellent plugin to use due to its versatility with PvP and PvE however in my experiences as a server owner/moderator/admin I find towny to be very server intensive and it seems like more and more problems are popping up with it everyday that don't seem to get fixed also I've had some compatibility issues while trying to run towny and PEX at the same time this may be a problem that only exists on my server due to a hiccup in either config files or it could be a problem with the plugin itself at this point I don't know. From what I've heard about the "GriefPrevention" it seems similar to many other plugins that I've seen/heard about and I've found that plugins like these tend to be very picky and buggy at times, If you do choose to run said plugin it would be a very good idea to also run a more reliable plugin EG LogBlock

alright thats all I have to say for now, let me know if you need any help setting up your server as I have some decent experience with them -Cheers

Thanks for the input! I plan to run Guardian with it as well so we have a plan B in case griefers get through the protection. "Wilderness" areas won't be protected at all so people will have to realize if they build on unclaimed land they're open season to griefing.

Until it's much easier to install and maintain things like IC/BC/RP on an SMP server I vote to stick with vanilla.

I will certainly play and build on the server if/when it gets set up, although as my gaming time is limited I may only be able to make it on once or twice a month at most.

Maybe create different worlds? Sorry if someone has already posted this suggestion but I don't have the time to read all of it right now. But imagine this, you want to play PvP? Go to the PvP world! you want Factions? Go to faction world! and ofcourse you can easily switch between worlds.

I suggested this by way of Multiverse, perhaps in the future when we're all settled in and cozy. :P But I agree; a port to an Industrialized world, PvP world, etc.. would make nice additions to the server. But hosting more than one world at a time requires more system resources as well, especially if one of the worlds houses IC/BC.

Yeah that would be nice but the server is already using a lot of RAM. 900mb out of 1500mb so I need to maybe look into trimming some fat. I think it just didn't release memory after a full Dynmap render, at least that's what I'm hoping as that's some high mem usage.

Can you install Tekkit using just multiverse? Wouldn't it need its own jar or is it a plugin? Not sure how running Tekkit and vanilla bukkit on the same server would work. I was just thinking if this server's a hit and we can afford it we would just get an Industrialized server.

That sounds great! Multiverse works by porting to another world folder by way of a Custom portal. Kind of like teleporting to a separate server. I would think as long as the folders are in the same directory it would work. Might be possible with a custom Bukkit build? Something I can maybe play around with here at home. But I think an IC SMP server in the future would be awesome.

Dynmap I think is constantly rendering as new areas are explored. I had the same trouble on my home server with it using tons of resources. I linked you to Tectonicus in this thread for something that doesn't render continuously. I believe this can be rendered manually every so often, but the initial render does take quite some time to complete.

Maybe a silly question, but as it stands now, will it be a server with vanilla minecraft play (gathering blocks, building your home and go on an adventure) or purely building?

I'm asking this because I don't have much experience with servers, and the few I've visited where purely building servers. While sometimes it can be fun to play as creative mode, it takes away a bit of fun in the long run.

Maybe this question has been answered before, but I could't read it anywhere.

Maybe a silly question, but as it stands now, will it be a server with vanilla minecraft play (gathering blocks, building your home and go on an adventure) or purely building?

I'm asking this because I don't have much experience with servers, and the few I've visited where purely building servers. While sometimes it can be fun to play as creative mode, it takes away a bit of fun in the long run.

Maybe this question has been answered before, but I could't read it anywhere.

It's a survival server with some add-ons. So there will be mobs trying to kill you and stuff. I don't think it will be PvP like I originally intended but there will probably be PvP zones where you can go fight other players if you want.

Maybe a graylist (a server where everyone can see the server but you can't build until you apply online. Then you can build but you are closely monitored. That way you can still let people you don't know get on the server but it greatly diminishes the chance of greifers. ) would be more appropriate since you have to remember: this is a server owned by a famous youtuber and so everyone would want to get on. They would be devastated if they couldn't get on.

That's basically how it's going to be. Anyone can join the server as a guest but can't build - they can walk around and look at stuff but can't use anything. Once they get 3 posts, an avatar, and link their forum account to their Minecraft user then they'll be able to build on the server.

• 3 weeks later...

well i like the Ic2 mod and stuff like that on the sever but a lot of people what bukket maybe we can have a hybrid with bukket an the industrialized stuff mybe???? who knows if it works but i like that idea

well the idea of whitelist is not good as in it will take a long time to get people on the pending list ot acutly on it public i dont like becuse we might get some one and not comeback and wast of land ect

that my thought on this

hope i helped a little

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.