GamingStylez

FTB or other server?

Hi Guys,

My exams are gone (not passed but that is a different topic :D ) and I think the time has come to open such a discussion.

We have to decide:

-What modpack are we going to use or first of all - what version of MC...

-How are we going to host it. Stylez, I do appreciate that you want to use your "extra" pc as a server, but I am ok if we decide to pay to a hosting company (or donate if you choose to host it by yourself).

Looking ahead for a really hot discussion.  B)

For me, I'm good with whatever modpack that's decided on if Stylez so chooses to host a server for us. And with there only being 3-4 active members on the forums I really don't see the need for a hosting company. A private, whitelisted server would work well I think. 

We won't be using a paid host. They get sort of expensive and interest inevitably dies off and I'm stuck with $30 a month hosting bill for an idle server. I'll be screwing around with an FTB server, I just don't know which pack - probably Unleashed since that's pretty much the standard pack most people use. It'll be whitelisted and private for forum members and if needed we can install MCPC+ for Bukkit plugins. Only problem I have now is my good computer isn't on 24/7 and my "server" computer isn't quite as high on specs. Then again I'm not sure how much an FTB server would need.

EDIT: I tested it on my crappy server and it was BAD. Block lag was really bad and the CPU usage was near 100%. My other PC works well for it but I'm not 100% sure I want to use it as a Minecraft server.

Hey man, no worries! Unleashed would need probably a minimum of 1GB to run a server well for a few people. And also tends to get a little more demanding as ages are made, machines are running, etc. But 1GB isn't too bad. I was running mine with 768MB and it started out okay but was progressively getting more and more block lag as the world grew. Like I said before, I do run a small vanilla server using the latest snapshots. 512MB runs it just fine for a few people and is about all my server PC can handle. If you do decide to set it up I don't think plugins would be necessary using a whitelist. OP status would be more than enough to admin the server with just us. Automatic backups would be nice though.

What was the server you guys ran in 2012? "Homemade" or using a hosting company?

Also, how about creating custom mod pack and lower the performance required?

We used a hosting company for the last server. *IF* I do an SMP server it will be using the Industrialized 2.5 mod pack*.

*I won't actually be releasing a mod pack per se.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.