GamingStylez

We're considering using the Feed The Beast modpack for the SMP server instead of a custom pack. We're definitely not sticking with Tekkit and FTB has all of the mods we were planning to use in our custom server setup and they're all Bukkit ports.

Here's the current mod list:

Buildcraft 3

Railcraft

Forestry

Steve's carts

Portal gun

Ender storage

Redpower

EE3

NEI

Extra BiomesXL

Tubestuff

Secret rooms

Greg's lighting

Industrialcraft

Computer Craft

Wireless redstone

Mystcraft

Rei's Minimap

Iron chests

Let me know what you guys think! The launcher is available right now but it's not quite ready with all the 1.4 mods. Also there's no server version available yet as far as I know.

Edit: I know it's similar to Tekkit, but FTB actually has the mod creators permission to include their mods so we don't have to worry about mods getting pulled. Plus... Forestry!

Are we going to have a controlled use of Mystcraft perhaps? Something along the lines of what the ForgeCraft Server is doing? We make separate dimensions for specific duties, but we continue holding our homes and mostly everything else in the main Overworld?

That's the plan

That's the plan

Achievement Get: Awh Hells Yeas!

Also, Mystcraft is going to be much easier to control on account of it being a compatible mod with the mod folder now.

Now, we just have to worry about when we want to add a new mod(: Perhaps some of the mods mister Direwolf has been doing ModSpotlights for?:D

Achievement Get: Awh Hells Yeas!

Also, Mystcraft is going to be much easier to control on account of it being a compatible mod with the mod folder now.

Now, we just have to worry about when we want to add a new mod(: Perhaps some of the mods mister Direwolf has been doing ModSpotlights for? :D

Whatever FTB adds for mods is what we'll use for the most part as it has most of the mods (or all of them) I wanted to use and then some.

Not to mention as well as finishing the mod list; they plan to port it all to Bukkit. May be a few more weeks until it's labeled "ready". I've had a test server running tonight with myself, Skuddles, and IIV_NATHAN_VII playing. It's going to be a pretty good experience with plenty for everyone. In the latest update, they've added Twilight Forest to the pack. With or without Bukkit, it's going to be a lot of fun. Needless to say, if it isn't ported to Bukkit, a whitelist may be in order. But I'm pretty confident that it will be ported. B)

I can understand that. My YouTube channel is starting to hate me because I've been playing RaiderZ lately. :P

If anyone wants to stop in on the test server they can. Keep in mind that it's not always online, but you can add it to your list and keep an eye open for it. Post in this thread to be added to the whitelist.

thegr8lands.no-ip.org

i'd come on the test but i still cant sort the FTB launcher thing!! :P

How is that even possible? The launchers are designed to be idiot proof. hahaha

Delete all the files, redownload the launcher (it's up to 0.3.1 now) and put it in a sub folder, launch it, and login and it downloads everything.

it works!!!! awesome nice one!! :D

I didn't tell you jack shit that would fix your problem but I'll take credit anyway. :P

PS: The official launch is set for this Saturday. That might mean we finally get RP2 and I can start my LP soon! No RP2 in first release.

Well here's a thought:

We get the server going with the release of FTB pack this Saturday.

When RP2 gets added, we add a Mystcraft book for mining with all the world gen we missed.

Problem=Solved

We thought about that but most people will want to spend their time in the overworld so we want it to have all the ore gen it needs. Plus RP2 adds a lot of block IDs with potential to conflict so I'd rather wait until RP2 is in the pack and not deal with block IDs.

Eh yah got a point. Might as well wait, cant be too much longer.

And Brian, we'd probably just spawn in a notebook from NEI. They have all the symbols built in so we wont have to create a shitload of worlds to find a good one. And we'll practice good world making skills(:

hmm could be cool but also a major pain in the behind :P i was trying mystcraft ages for the first time last night and 30 books down the line i finally got an age where i wasn't nauseous :/

All worlds you create randomly have instability (nausea, meteors, etc). You can escape the poison-like effects by going underground. As you stumble through ages their attributes get added to your notebook. Once you write a stable age using a writing desk and a notebook you won't have instability. Although writing a stable age can be tricky.

I'm not sure how we're going to deal with this on the server, but like Jasenty said we may just have notebooks that are pre-filled for making ages because I don't want everyone to clog the server with hundreds of unused ages. I think we can limit ages but at the same time I don't think you can remove your ages and it takes quite a few ages to get useful symbols for writing a good custom age.

Stylez, just spawn in a Notebook from NEI. It comes with all the symbols pre-discovered. And from there, just practice good world making skills. By this, only choose things you think you'll need. Dont choose extra biomes than what your biome controller can hold. Dont throw in those symbols like Extra Ores, those are guaranteed to cause instability. And when you first visit your newly created age, go back, and look at the Book. If there are new symbols you didnt add, more than likely it has instability.

FTB is launched but unfortunately their Bukkit developer bailed (due to lack of help from Bukkit) so FTB does not have Bukkit support on the server which is sort of a big deal. That means no Bukkit plugins (permissions, protections, rollbacks, etc etc). They weren't using Bukkit ported mods they were using a Bukkit plugin for Forge which is a brand new way of doing things.

So, we may have to put a custom Bukkit build together instead of using FTB because running a vanilla server isn't feasible for a public server.

I'm doing a little reading here and it seems that Forge mod Bukkit ports for all intents and purposes seem dead (I'm only on the first page of that thread).

So this leaves us with running a whitelisted FTB server which would pretty much be vanilla with no protection or admin plugins, permissions, etc. Then we have to cross our fingers and hope that people get to writing Bukkit-like server management plugins for "vanilla Forge". I'm gonna keep researching and see how plausible that is - so far I know that DynMap (the Bukkit mapping plugin) has been ported to run on Forge so that gives me hope.

But yeah, basically how Forge uses a new univeral SSP/SMP single build, Bukkit does not and makes them largely incompatible. Thus each time Forge or Bukkit is updated requires a shit ton of work to re-port mods. At least that's what I'm gathering from the situation. CPW was trying to make Bukkit a plugin for Forge but that project is now dead because it's too much work when Bukkit gets updated and they won't help him out with the porting.

Edit: Here are some Forge server mods...

Edited by Stylez
Added link to server mods

??? WHAT WHY ??

If you're talking about the 1.2.5 stuff it's just so you can play the original FTB map while waiting for the new stuff to be updated and released. FTB launcher is a lot like MutliMC where you can have multiple instances of Minecraft at the same time.

In other news, there is a port of the Bukkit "Essentials" mod being created for Forge - "ForgeEssentials." I don't really have any info other than what I saw on IRC so no ETA - we'll whitelist for now if RP2 ever gets updated. All the configs are there for RP2 so I'm no so concerned about block ID conflicts anymore but I almost think it's a deal breaker to not have RP2 worldgen in the overworld.

We're considering using the Feed The Beast modpack for the SMP server instead of a custom pack. We're definitely not sticking with Tekkit and FTB has all of the mods we were planning to use in our custom server setup and they're all Bukkit ports.

Here's the current mod list:

Let me know what you guys think! The launcher is available right now but it's not quite ready with all the 1.4 mods. Also there's no server version available yet as far as I know.

Edit: I know it's similar to Tekkit, but FTB actually has the mod creators permission to include their mods so we don't have to worry about mods getting pulled. Plus... Forestry!

ftb will be better

Yeah but if Mojang can't find a stable version of Minecraft and they keep releasing patches it'll take a while for all the mods to get on the same version. Right now we have mods being ported to 1.4.3 while 1.4.4 and 1.4.5 are out. 1.4.4 mods work on 1.4.5 as long as they don't modify base classes (JAR mods).

I agree. For instance that torch bug that they had which was supposed to be fixed in 1.4.5 but is still there at least a little bit. The latest versions of Forge actually fix that bug since Mojang can't. lol The fact that the bug is still there in 1.4.5 means we'll see a 1.4.6... or is 1.4.5 even out? Not sure if it was a pre-release or not.

Elo does work constantly on updating RP. Remember, her mod has FIVE separate parts. That is a lot to update when you think about it, especially since one of the parts is Logic.

No one is questioning the hours of work she's putting into updating the mod. I just wish she'd release alpha builds so that I can playtest the balance for my LP and get my configs done. I can relate to what she's doing though... I also hate putting out half-assed things that aren't quite finished and buggy (this is why we don't have a preliminary FTB server setup).

What do you guys think of this plot management mod for the FTB server? I haven't read it very much because I'm at work but judging by the screenshots it looks pretty cool and it's Forge.

This looks really well thought out. I would love to see us use this and keep the vanilla server build. Bukkit is nice, but it has it's own bugs and updates. You can't go wrong using the original server. Especially with more and more mods like this surfacing.

This looks really well thought out. I would love to see us use this and keep the vanilla server build. Bukkit is nice, but it has it's own bugs and updates. You can't go wrong using the original server. Especially with more and more mods like this surfacing.

Yeah at this point I think Bukkit is completely out for an FTB server.

Yep! I'm considering just ditching the server until Minecraft and the mods stabilize... it's not worth the $30 a month to just sit there "waiting for the stars to align."

EDIT: I've requested cancellation at the end of the current billing cycle. I'll re-evaluate when RP2 comes out and FTB is updated and stabilized to the point they're not removing mods from the pack and corrupting worlds. Also hoping to see more Bukkit-like mods ported to Forge. I'm also working on projects in Second Life and don't have time to devote to a finnicky SMP server right now.

The service will be cancelled at the end of your current billing period on 2013/01/15

I dont see the need really to switch to ftb i mean it doesnt even have equivalent exchange and i dont think tekkit is going to be shut down by the modders any time soon because of the attention that it has brung to the individual mods. It doesnt even have optifine and again, equivalent exchange is a huge deal (at least to me)

EE wouldnt be on this server considering the theme of what Stylez is going for. FTB has mods that are constantly being updated by mod authors/devs. I swear, everytime I log into the FTB launcher, there is an update. When I logged into Tekkit, there was no update. There hasnt been an update for it in months. Therefor, the wiser option to chose is FTB. If you want EE and TC2, try the mod pack in the launcher itself called Magic World or something.

The main reason I think we are moving away from Tekkit is the fact that they never had proper permissions from the mod authors to use their mods in the pack. FTB has full support of the mod authors and as Jasenty pointed out, FTB seems to consistently update. FTB has several different packs to choose from, including the "Magic" pack which contains Equivalent Exchange as well as other magic type mods; i.e Twilight Forest, Mystcraft, Thaumcraft, etc.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.